Thich Nhat Hanh's 2013 Wesak Message.


Today we celebrate the appearance of Siddhartha on this planet. However, the majority of us only worship Siddhartha as a supreme sacred power with the ability to bless and to protect us from danger. Not many are able to walk the path he has walked, to handle suffering, generate happiness, reestablish communication and touch Nirvana in the present moment. Our Buddhist of today mostly is a Buddhist of devotion. What the Buddha advised us—to let go of such things as fame and sensual pleasures—we now ask him to grant us.

Practicing mindfulness, concentration and insight, walking the Noble Eightfold Path as the path of happiness in the present moment, has become only a very small part of Buddhist as it is practiced today. We did not inherit the most precious parts of the spiritual heritage that Siddhartha left. Our Buddhist has become corrupted, unable to play its original role. We need to put all our heart into renewing Buddhist, so that it can continue to play its role in generating peace for individuals, families, countries and societies. By only practicing devotional Buddhist, bowing our heads amidst incense all day long, we will not able to do that—and not be worthy to be called descendents of the Buddha—the Great Conqueror of Afflictions.
James: The above quote is from Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh's Wesak message for 2013.

It seems a day doesn't pass without a story of monks driving Mercedes luxury cars in Thailand--or, monks in Burma assaulting Muslim minorities. In addition to the political corruption of some in the Sri Lankan sangha. This is the corruption that concerns "Thay" (nickname for Thich Nhat Hanh, meaning "teacher" in Vietnamese).

It isn't solely materialism, corruption or racism that we must guard against. It's also devotional distractions.  There is certainly a place for incense and honoring Buddha with lovely flowers but unfortunately these wonderful acts too can, themselves, be a distraction from the Dharma. I am guilty myself of being distracted from what I believe is the heart of practicing the Dharma--meditation. This isn't an attack on any specific tradition.

I know that some won't agree with me that meditation is the core of Dharma practice, and that's fine. It's o.k. to disagree, but since it would be tedious explaining the opposing views of other traditions in each post I write, I ask dissenters to not engage in sectarian debates in the comments section. Out of respect for my blog, and readers, I kindly ask you to limit your disagreements to your own blog.

The examples of corrupt monks mentioned just happen to be from the Theravada tradition of Buddhist. I hope this isn't interpreted as an attack on Theravada, because I do not believe Theravada Buddhist itself is corrupt. Nor, any other tradition of Buddhist. I believe, Thay, would say that corruption is introduced to all schools of Buddhist through imperfect people--we, humans. We are imperfect beings, all of us, and some happen to join the Sangha without having fully abandoned materialism. That does not make all the other monks at a particular temple corrupt--nor do I think it means that Thay believes his tradition is superior. I see corruption in his tradition, as well. I believe that his message is a general admonition to all Buddhists. I know I welcomed the reminder.

We all distract ourselves, in one way or another, from Dharma practice--whether it's devotional acts or being wrapped-up in cerebral discussions of dogma, as I am prone to do. These activities aren't bad, nor should they be abandoned, all together. I believe, and this is just my opinion, that it comes down to balance. I try to balance meditation with offerings of incense and bowing before a statue of Buddha to cultivate humility, because I tend to over-emphasize meditation in my practice. I believe that if we always remember to keep our practice balanced, as Buddha taught, we will experience the fullest sense of Buddha's enlightenment. There are many, "Dharma Gates"-- different paths or traditions, but one Dharma. If we focus solely on the Dharma, then it shouldn't matter which school we follow--we can rest assured that we are solidly on the path, walking the middle-way toward absolute liberation from suffering--Nirvana.

It is said that when Buddha was dying, his devoted attendant (and friend) Ananda began to sorrowfully weep at the enlightened one's bedside. Buddha consoled Anada by saying that his body was simply a vehicle for the Dharma. Buddha's body was impermanent, and subject to change. The Dharma, he said, was eternal, and incorruptible. It is like a compass. I think that if we put our trust in the Dharma, and focus solely upon that path, we will not be led astray. I believe that his essence [Buddha's] will be felt through the unfolding of our practice.

I believe that Buddha knew his message of enlightenment was greater than himself--and his body. In some ways, the man known as Siddhartha (Buddha) ceased to be upon Siddhartha's enlightenment. What Anada understood that night at Buddha's bedside was that Buddha, and the Dharma, are one. Nothing can separate that reality--not even the physical death of his earthly body. From the beginning, Buddha had been preparing his adherents for his demise. He literally laid-out the path, step by step, to guide seekers for generations. I believe he knew that his enlightenment would shake the world, and inspire countless beings to realize the same liberation he experienced.

I am reminded, again, by Thay's above discourse, why I was attracted to his school of Zen Buddhist. They say that when the student is ready, the teacher arrives. I didn't seek him out. When I first began this journey, 11 years, or so, ago I was following Tibetan Buddhist. However, it didn't feel like it "fit" me. By chance, someone introduced me to Thich Nhat Hanh via a book. His way of conveying the Dharma clarified everything for me. It was like I had known him in a past-life, or at least recognized his "energy" as one that I could relate to very well. Regardless off your tradition, or teacher, I wish you great success in your practice of the Dharma. I am not an ordained teacher in his tradition, but rather, a student walking the path with you. These words on this blog are merely my way of talking through my study of the Dharma--and nothing more. I am not a monk, either, so if you are looking for a teacher--I am simply a devoted, lay practitioner. As I say, I wish you well, and may you soon forever be free of suffering.

~i bow to the buddha within all beings~


Read More @ Source



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world

Buddhist temple in Westminster destroyed in early-morning fire

Danish Buddhist leader, Lama Ole, to visit in Snohomish