Inside the September Shambhala Sun: What’s wrong with boredom?

"One time," writes Karen Maezen Miller, in "Booooring…", found in our current issue, "I was interviewed by a radio host about meditation, and she seemed alarmed, even offended, by the idea. Staying put runs contrary to the religion of self-gratification.

"'It seems to me you're telling people to settle,' she said. I was flummoxed, and I searched my mind for a response. If I'd had the equanimity of my Zen forebears, I would have said what I really meant.

"I would have said, 'Yes.'"

"What's wrong with settling? What's wrong with being patient and making peace? What's wrong with quieting the crazy-making, egocentric mind? And for that matter, what's wrong with boredom?"

Good questions! For more read Karen's complete article, which is now available for online reading; just click here. (And be sure to visit Karen's wonderful site/blog, Cheerio Road.)

Read More @ Source



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world

Buddhist temple in Westminster destroyed in early-morning fire

Danish Buddhist leader, Lama Ole, to visit in Snohomish